Today I realized that things are not always as you perceive them to be. I remember, when I was very little, helping my parents redo their backyard and planting citrus trees. We planted a plum, peach, 2 orange, tangelo, and an apricot tree. We spent many nights in the backyard helping my dad dig huge holes to place the trees in. Now many years later the two orange trees and tangelo tree have survived. I have always been fond of the little orange tree because I can remember standing in the bottom of the hole with my shovel. I thought it was sooo neat that the hole was bigger than me. It has never really mattered to me that the tree never produced a single orange. I loved that tree with every single fiber of my being. My mom has never really liked it and I have never understood. I always thought the tree was cute and it didn't matter that it never made any fruit...That is UNTIL TODAY!!!
The tree was simply growing out of control and needed to be cut. Once we started I quickly realized why my mom didn't like the tree. The THORNS on the tree are out of control. No one in their right mind would attempt to tame that plant. Apparently when we planted the tree some rootshoots came up from where the tree was grafted and the graft has taken over the orange tree. After several hours and many cuts, thanks to the tree, I think I have overcome the sentimental value of the tree. I told my mom we need to get rid of it. That thought would have been very sad just a day ago....but after the war we waged with the tree today I am happy to see it go!!
P.S. I also decided that the dump is about the last place in the world I would choose to go....it was so gross...I washed my hands and feet so many times today that they are totally dried out...Dust+dirt+garbage+smell=NO FUN!!! I have a new appreciation for my parents and all the times they made trips to the dump. 
2 comments:
That's funny. Our orange tree doesn't have thorns, however, our lemon tree is a vicious beast. I never come out of picking lemons without looking like I've been in a wicked cat fight and lost. I hate that tree for it's thorns, but love the lemons. Hope you post some of California soon. Did you guys have a wonderful time?
Congrats with the tree finally producing fruit. That's too funny. :) I agree with you...the dump is a gross place to go...yuck!!!
Post a Comment