Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snowboarding


We went to the White Mountains for the long weekend, since Tucson celebrates Rodeo Days! It was Daniel's first time snowboarding and he was totally excited to try it out. I decided that after several previous experiences I would rather go sledding with my niece and nephew for the day. We departed and went our separate ways.

Shelly and Daniel were going to practice snowboarding on the bunny hill while Rob and Justin went on the normal runs. I text Justin about an hour after they left to see how things were going. I received a picture text back. It was very hard to see because of the glare from the snow...but after some studying I determined that it was someone snowboarding and they were on their feet. I thought WOW!!!! Daniel is doing very well. I continued to sled for a while longer until we decided we had enough.

I walked up to the car and told my parents that I got a picture and it looked like Daniel was doing a great job. My parents replied....well not anymore. We have to go pick him up over at first aid he messed up his ankle.



It wasn't until later that I looked at the text again and noticed that indeed someone was standing up...but it wasn't my husband....it was one of the Red Cross Guys that was helping my husband. After several runs down the bunny hill he decided to try out one of the real ones. He wasn't even half way down when he caught some snow and went down. He said he hear a loud pop and then SCREAMED really loud. Daniel said the pain was the worst thing he has ever experienced (at least that is what he told his mom) and he felt like he was going to vomit. A ski instructor on the ski lift heard him and was trying to yell to see if he was okay. Daniel said he was so embarrassed that he didn't say anything. The next thing he knew the Red Cross Medics were there. They made him ride (what Daniel calls) a rickety old sled down. He said he was running through different bail out plans in his head because he was sure that the sled was going to tip over and he was going to go face first into the snow. He made it down to first aid in one piece and we picked him up to take him home shortly thereafter.

He has been hobbling around on it since Saturday afternoon and so far it isn't super swollen. We are going to give it some time and hopefully it will heal quickly. If not he will be going to see the doctor this week. Even though it may sound like a nightmare...we actually really enjoyed the weekend and spending time with the family.

1 comment:

Jill Branch said...

Oh....so sorry for Daniel. Hopefully next time he'll stick to sledding as well. Glad you all had a lot of fun. Wish we could've been there.