Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanksgiving on the Mayflower

This year my class, along with the rest of the First Grade, will be having their Thanksgiving feast on the Mayflower. It is going to be a huge surprise for my class...I can't wait to see their reaction.

We are loading the back of this truck with tables and having a FEAST!! My best friend, Julie, who teaches next door has great memories of eating Thanksgiving on the Mayflower in First Grade. She decided to contact the Mayflower Company and see if they would donate a truck. I think we were all shocked when they came back and said YES!!! So next week we will be feeding Thanksgiving Dinner to 100 First Graders. Luckily we ordered the meals from a local store so we only have to warm the food.

Since we are going all out this year, what would a true Thanksgiving feast be without the proper attire? Today as Shelly and I were talking, we discovered that we both could benefit from the making of a Pilgrim Outfit. Shelly is teaching a lesson on the 13 colonies on Tuesday. During her lesson she is going to act like a Colonist. Then Wednesday my class is having a feast.

My mom, being the amazing mom that she is, agreed to help us with our crazy idea. We ventured down to the fabric store tonight to find a way to make a skirt, apron, collar, and bonnet that we would both be able to use for our events. We found one!!

Seeing that I could not even figure out how to cut out the pattern, it is probably a good thing that I will not be involved in the sewing process. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Mom for helping us as we come up with these crazy ideas. I know that I could not be the teacher that I am today without your help and support!! I know our students are going to love it!!!

1 comment:

Jill Branch said...

I want to come :) That sounds like a lot of fun for your class. You'll have to post pictures after the event.